At Under the Sun, our ideal is to help you create a garden that nourishes both body and soul, while creating a natural refuge for native flora and fauna.
Our motto is: low maintenance, high sustainability.
Low maintenance means that we favour natural landscape designs that, like natural ecosystems, require minimal care, watering, fertilizing, pruning and weeding.
Natural designs create a win-win scenario for both client and nature – resulting in less expense for client and minimal impact on natural resources.
High Sustainability is the result of low maintenance coupled with mindful ecological gardening practices that in the long run will help restore natural ecosystems, one garden at a time.
These practices include:
- Organic Fertilization
- Organic Pest and disease control
- Fertility building (via Organic Compost & Companion planting)
- Erosion prevention (via no-dig gardening such as “Sheet Mulch Gardening”)
- High efficiency Irrigation (drip and low volume)
- Water purification (via natural plant systems and chemical-free practices )
- Native plant use over exotics
- Creation of wild-life habitat (via natural systems)
Types of Gardens:
At Under the Sun, we will always strive to work with Nature, not against her.
Over a variety of client sites/ecosystems, we might propose to mix and match garden styles, according to client preference, :
- Native Butterfly Gardens
- Native Wildflower meadows (dry land)
- Wet-land marshes, river beds & ponds
- Forest Gardens
- Vegetable Gardens
- Sustainable Lawns (via careful grass selection, fertility planting and diversification)